GABA Oolong is a fruity and tangy tea which originates from the Nantou County of Taiwan. GABA Oolong tea is a novel tea variety packed with many health and functional benefits. GABA Oolong tea is also known as Gabaron and Jia Ye Long. This unique tea was first crafted around 1987 in Japan where it remains a very popular oolong. The main chemical compound found in GABA Oolong is gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This is an amino acid which occurs naturally in the human body. GABA is a key inhibitory neurotransmitter available in the nerve system and also in the retina.
GABA oolong tea is made by complying with standards set by the Japanese government and should exceed or meet the Japanese standard of 150 mg of GABA per 100 grams of tea. Following plucking and rolling, tea undergoes oxidation in an oxygen deprived area. This is the very unique process which is adopted to achieve all GABA oolong teas. This tea is placed into big tanks. Then the Oxygen is flushed out with nitrogen gas and the tea is left to oxidize. Since the environment is oxygen deprived, the oxidation process occurs slowly. This helps to accumulate more GABA molecules being present in the made tea.
This GABA Oolong tea comes in tightly rolled leaves that is the typical nature of Taiwanese oolongs. Leaves unfurl while pouring.
It is best brewed at 90°C for 3-5 minutes. GABA Oolong can be poured serveral times.
The cup is brown in color. The liquor of made tea is light in strength with a fruity and tangy character. The brew has got very pleasant notes of sultanas and currants with a hint of woody character. The overall brew is very smooth and refreshing. This special brew is ideal for a relaxing afternoon tea.
Health and Functional Benefits
Below are some of the key benefits of GABA Oolong tea,
- Known to aid sleep: Limited human studies have shown that individuals with certain sleeping disorders might have lower whole-brain GABA.
- May reduce depression: GABA deficiency is known to cause depression. Some studies have suggested that individuals with depression may have lower brain GABA.
- Known to oppose the effect of drug addiction: Drugs which activate GABA slightly are being researched for minimizing drug addiction.
- May ease pain: One theory suggests that pain is just too much when there is limited GABA–in nerve cells.
- Known to aid brain development: Some studies suggest tha GABA stabilizes and protects brain cells. GABA Also minimize the excessive rise in calcium level which could possibly trigger brain cell death.
- May reduce the risk of heart diseases: GABA supplements are known to help reducing high blood pressure, according to some clinical studies. Antioxidants available in this tea are also known to minimize the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
7 Known to support gut health: Some researches suggests that GABA may affect digestion both as a neurotransmitter which connects the gut to the brain and as a gut hormone.